Brief history of IFBYL
IFBYL was conceptualized in 2008 and founded on the 10th March 2009 on the auspicious occasion of the 88th birthday, celebrated as Dhammapada festival, of the most Venerable Dr. Acharya Buddharakkhita, founder president of the Maha Bodhi Scoiety, Bangalore.
A small group of inspired, motivated & committed disciples of the Venerable Dr. Acharya Buddharakkhita, headed by Dhammacari Tsewang Norbu Vivek, came together to share their Dhamma knowledge and serve the Buddhist community.
IFBYL was registered under the society registration act in February 2010. Later in the same year IFBYL became the regional member of the World Fellowship of Buddhist Youth (WDBY), HQ, Bangkok Thailand. Though IFBYL was initially aimed at promoting Dhamma amongst the youths, IFBYL today organizes teachings both for young adults and senior members of the society.
In order to encourage real youth participation and youth to youth engagement, IFBYL founded Club 25 in April 2012. Today it is one of the most active Buddhist youth groups in Ladakh and in India, engaged in various Dhamma activities.
The IFBYL vision is to promote the core universal teachings of the Buddha in an understandable modern language and translate them into practical daily life applications and hereby inspiring and motivating the people, particularly the youths, in helping to create a healthy, happy and promising society.
- To instill Buddhist values amongst the youth
- To provide advocacy and leadership training for Buddhist youths in India.
- Organizing Dhamma talks and retreats
- Organizing leadership development programs
- Organizing Dhamma summer and winter camps
- Organizing youth exchange programs both at regional and international level
- Encouraging and supporting youth to study Buddhism
- Promoting Dhamma into action through engaging youth in social work
IFBYL welfare activities
- Annual Dana Service programs at the local hospital, jail, old age homes, disabled children homes, orphanages etc. during the Vesak celebration
- Blood donation and medical camps
- Financial assistance for medical expenses to poor patients and college/university education for underprivileged children
- Curbing social evils like alcohol, drugs and counseling drug addict youths and helping them with rehabilitation
The two slideshows below presents various IFBYL activities and pictures.
If you have any questions about IFBYL or want to help the organization please contact us.